Golden was yet another Colorado town that was founded during and because of the Pike’s Peak Gold Rush. The mining camp was originally named Golden City in honor of Thomas L. Golden. This is where the original capital of the Territory of Colorado was from 1862 to 1867 until it was moved east to Denver City.
Golden was considered a regional center of trade and industry in the 1860s. Throughout the years many industries flourished here, including its brewing, brick making, clay mining, and porcelain industries. Downtown began revitalization in the 1920s, and since then it has flourished. The School of Mines has gained a worldwide academic reputation. Coors is at the forefront of the brewing industry, and is the largest single site brewery in the world.
From the beginning of the start of Golden, it has been at the crossroads of major Colorado thoroughfares. Interstate 70 runs through the southern part of the city, and SH 470 runs to the south. Another major highway is US 6 which runs east and west. SH 93, whose roots began in the 1860s continues through the western part of the city. Boulder is easily accessible through SH 58.